Windows installer - beta release

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 07:10:13 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 21:42 +0000, Mikhail Glushenkov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The beta version of the Windows installer is ready and can be
> downloaded from
>
> http://code.haskell.org/~refold/HaskellPlatform-2009.0.0-setup.exe
>
> Please test and report any bugs you encounter.

Good work Mikhail!

> Known issues:
>
> * Installed files are not tracked precisely (we use the Windows
>   analogue of rm -rf, which is a bit unsafe).

Oh, so NSIS doesn't do uninstall?

> * OpenAL redistributable is not included (I wasn't sure on
>   whether it should be). IIRC, GLUT also doesn't come with
>   Windows, so if we decide to include oal_redist.exe, GLUT has to
>   be bundled too.

Yeah, don't worry about OpenAL.

> * Branding: it would be nice to have icons with the new logo,
>   also for .hs and .lhs files (probably even for the intermediate
>   GHC files, like Python does for .pyc). Currently the GHCi
>   lambda icon is used.

Yes, that'd be very nice for source files.

Probably want to leave .hi files with a blank icon though (or something
to indicate an opaque binary file), we don't want people to try to open
them and get confused that they cannot.

Duncan