Windows installer - beta release

Mikhail Glushenkov the.dead.shall.rise at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 06:34:11 EDT 2009

Hi Bulat,

Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at ...> writes:

> 1) afair, you use nsis? installer size too large, adding this line to
> .nsi should make it twice smaller:
>
> SetCompressor /SOLID lzma

Thanks, I'll use that!

> 2) i propose to make default installation directory both for ghc and
> extra libs the same, something like c:\haskell (if it's impossible to
> install into c:\program files\haskell)

Program Files\Haskell is what cabal-install uses by default.

I decided to use $SYSTEMDRIVE\ghc for GHC just in case it has
objections to being run from a directory with spaces in it.

If there's a demand for "Install only for the current user"
feature, then the only safe choice is $HOME. For example, at my
school Windows machines are configured so that ordinary users
can't write to C:\.