Haskell platform?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 19 03:41:48 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 10:58 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
> Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 14:04 -0700, Clifford Beshers wrote:
> >> Oh, duh, there's a cabal package for it.  That should make it trivial,
> >> once cabal-debian is up to snuff.  I ran it (cabal-debian) and it
> >> failed because we don't have all the opengl packages set up right,
> >> there were some version problems which I suspect is the result of
> >> recent work, and there was a build error because of missing haddock
> >> files, but all in all those look pretty easy to clean up.
> >
> > The one thing to watch out for is that the haskell-platform.cabal
> > meta-package doesn't mention the programs that are part of the platform,
> > ie alex, happy, haddock and cabal-install.
>
> That is of course not something the Debian meta-package will have any
> problem with since DEBs don't suffer from that particular limitation.

Oh course, I just meant that if you do a direct translation from
the .cabal file then you'd miss those packages.

> > The definitive list is currently here:
> > http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/Library/VersionMatrix#PlatformPackages
> > in the column for 2009.0.0
> >
> > We'll move that list to a page on it's own along with some guidance for
> > distros.
>
> The most noticeable thing is the old versions for regex-*.

Yes, these are the versions that came with the "extralibs" and all the
binary installers for ghc-6.10.x.

>  Is there already a plan for the next release, one that catches up
> with what's on Hackage?

The maintainer of the regex packages has already proposed that we update
to the latest versions. I fully expect that's what we'll do in the next
major release. I hope we will also agree to update to QC 2. However I
think we will be sticking with parsec 2.x for the time being.

Duncan