[haskell-llvm] llvm-base vs. llvm-general

Henning Thielemann schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Jan 21 08:13:45 GMT 2014

Am 19.01.2014 10:27, schrieb Scott West:

> I remember you had reservations about the use/portability of TH in
> llvm-general, is this a non-starter for you, or can you live with it?

Template Haskell is the part that scares me most. In general I think
that the FFI part must be very simple in terms of package dependencies
and language extensions, because this is the part that most other llvm
package will share.

Reaching an agreement about the perfect design might require more time
than following different approaches in parallel. There are different
needs for different applications. Compiler writers might prefer the
syntax tree approach of llvm-general, they might prefer weak type
checking (because they implement their own type checker) and they might
even be happy with manual generation of ll-files. On the other hand JIT
programming works best with the library interface and strong type
checking. Thus maybe, it is better to leave the llvm-base/llvm path as
is and follow the llvm-general path separately.