[haskell-llvm] llvm-general FFI dependencies

Scott West scott.west at inf.ethz.ch
Mon Aug 19 08:33:03 BST 2013

Hello all,

I've been looking a bit in the past week at the llvm-general bindings
trying to figure out how to tweeze the FFI part away from the rest.

As Ben Scarlet indicated, the dependency of the FFI part is largely on
llvm-general-pure. However, there are two other small dependencies on
the llvm-general:

- LLVM.General.Internal.InstructionDefs and
- LLVM.General.Transforms

It seems that the dependency on Internal.InstructionDefs is mostly just
code-sharing, and there is probably a not too difficult solution there.

For Transforms however, I'm less sure what to do.

I think a better option is to move it into llvm-general-pure, as it
certainly pure, although it's not really part of the AST (which
llvm-general-pure mostly contains). This would make it that
llvm-general-pure is a dependency for all llvm packages in the future,
allowing us to share a single FFI implementation (the currently hidden
llvm-general one).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Regards,