[haskell-llvm] Upcoming release, high level binding state

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Sun Apr 28 08:41:26 BST 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Benjamin Saunders <besaunde at sfu.ca> wrote:

> I've merged extensive fixes and updates to llvm-base including my own
> low-level llvm-wrapper binding. Testing against my compiler suggest
> everything is in order Nonetheless, I'd like to proceed with a Hackage
> release for at least llvm-base and llvm-wrapper soon, and the build blocker
> in the latest high-level bindings release suggests it would be better than
> not to push that as well.

Fair enough.

> Is there any release procedure beyond the obvious
> tag-and-upload-to-hackage I should be aware of?

Not really. When I was actively maintaining the package, I'd do roughly the
following:

   - cabal sdist
   - Build the package and run the tests from the resulting tarball
(*not*from the git tree), since it's easy to miss important files in
the tarball
   - Try with all supported versions of LLVM (whatever those are today)
   - If everything is good, tag, upload, and push

My convention has been to number the Haskell package based on whatever
current version of LLVM it is targeted at, so LLVM 3.2 -> llvm-base 3.2.0.0
and so on.

> Should I await review, or is it appropriate for me to proceed once I judge
> that a release is ready?

I think it's fine to do a release.