[haskell-llvm] Linking to C bindings (llvm-0.10.0.1)

Per Fredelius per.fredelius at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 08:37:13 GMT 2012

Hi all,

I'm trying to install llvm-0.10.0.1 (a dependency of
Hydra<https://github.com/giorgidze/Hydra>)
but I'm running into trouble making cabal find the c headers, aborting with
the following error:

checking llvm-c/Core.h usability... no
checking llvm-c/Core.h presence... no
checking for llvm-c/Core.h... no
configure: error: could not find LLVM C bindings

I suspect I'm missing some obvious detail when installing LLVM (2.9). 2.9
was built and installed from source into /usr/lib/llvm-2.9. My main
suspicion is there is some *path* that needs to be set for the files above
to be found as they are clearly present in /usr/lib/llvm-2.9/include.

Some other minor leads: (Before I understood that 2.9 was the version to
install against I installed 2.6 and 3.1. I've now tried to remove them
(make uninstall and apt-get purge respectively) but there may be some
residual stuff lying around. I had to remove the /usr/lib/llvm-* folders
myself. Not sure if that can cause problems. I only installed the LLVM base
package and not the gcc front end. Do I need that too?)

/Thanks!
Per