[haskell-llvm] branched llvm-3.0.0.0

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue May 1 01:47:58 BST 2012

these changes all sound good

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Nathan Howell wrote:

> 3) Getting rid of the type-level package. I have a few modules that
> take 10-20 minutes each and >4GB of ram to build mostly due to
> type-level... and this is after reducing the number of cases
> supported. I'm hoping GHC's type-nats are faster.

First I thought that type-level computations generally are slow, because
GHC is not optimized for them. But when I looked into type-level recently,
I saw that they do unary arithmetic on decimal numbers. I started to
replace type-level by tfp. It uses type families and true decimal
arithmetic (not completely, multiplication is implemented as Egyptian
multiplication). It should be faster and since I expect problems with
typenats in the first versions of GHC-7.6, tfp could be a good transition.