[haskell-llvm] llvm and type families

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri Apr 27 21:59:33 BST 2012

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012, Nathan Howell wrote:

> I'll be looking at a port from the type-level package to GHC's
> typenats when 7.6.1 gets closer to release. That may make a conversion
> to type families easier.

Yes typenats would be really nice, too.

I hunted a bug in GHC-7.4.1 today that is connected to the type-level
package [1] and thus I had a closer look to the implementation of
type-level. Now I think I know why type-level is so slow: Although it uses
decimal representation it uses induction for addition and multiplication,
thus performing actually unary arithmetic on decimal numbers.

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/6055