[haskell-llvm] haskell-llvm An LLVM backend for DDC

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Sat Jun 26 01:53:58 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+hs at mega-nerd.com<mle%2Bhs at mega-nerd.com>
> wrote:

> Ben's objections to Lennart's bindings are:
>
>  - Use of non Haskell 98 extensions which makes out bootstrapping
>    problem more difficult.

How does that difficulty arise? Bear in mind that I'm only vaguely aware of
what DDC needs to do.

>  - It uses FFI rather than being pure Haskell code like David's.

Different goals there, really. My goal when I wrote the LLVM bindings was to
use the LLVM JIT, while David's was to generate LLVM bitcode files (so his
library is not, as far as I know, really a set of bindings to the LLVM
libraries at all). The former absolutely requires an imperative interface,
while for the latter, either functional or imperative would be fine.