[haskell-llvm] Limitation of API - omissions or design?

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 08:36:38 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 14:23 +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
>
> > I use this technique often. Well the code is secure but I have things
> > like infinite space of values of infinite space of functions.
>
> What do you mean with 'space'? According to LLVM doc open arrays shall be
> implemented using arrays of size zero while relying on LLVM not to do any
> boundary checks.

I mean tree. Something like (simplified and for functions operating only
on ints):

data SymbolSpace a = SymbolSpace (a TypeNum) (SymbolSpace a TypeNum)

newtype App a t t' = App a (t -> t')

It allows to get a TypeNum, a (TypeNum -> TypeNum), a (TypeNum ->
TypeNum -> TypeNum) etc. values (a is for example wrapper around Map
Ident)

> > Possibly I am doing something wrong but there is small amount of
> > examples on web.
>
> My code is certainly not tutorial, but you find running LLVM-EDSL-Haskell
> code in
>    http://code.haskell.org/~thielema/llvm-extra/
>    http://code.haskell.org/synthesizer/llvm/

Thanks - I will look on it.

> > PPS. I'm not sure how to solve this problem - it is separate to the
> > above issues. On Gentoo there seems that MISP target is not built even
> > with alltargets USE flag:
> >

> > ghci> x <- newModule
> > <interactive>: /home/mpiechotka/.cabal/lib/llvm-0.9.0.1/ghc-7.0.1/HSllvm-0.9.0.1.o: unknown symbol `LLVMInitializeMSILTargetInfo'
> > ghc: unable to load package `llvm-0.9.0.1'
>
> Using LLVM from GHCi is another issue. I got it working on LLVM-2.5 with
> some hacks, but then in LLVM-2.6 it worked no longer. Manuel Chakravarty
> reported to got it working on Mac, but I have no success with LLVM-2.8 on
> Linux. :-(

Ops - it does compile (sorry I haven't checked). Strangly it did work
with 0.8.x on Ubuntu 10.04 with 2.7.

Regards