[Haddock] Feature request: type signatures in index overview

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Mon Sep 9 23:53:23 BST 2013

On 09/09/13 23:15, David Luposchainsky wrote:
> Hey Haddock devs,
>
> I've recently spent a lot of time in the GHC source and was clicking
> through names in the index just to find out the types for certain
> identifiers. Paired with the large amount of empty space the index table
> has, I thought it would be a good idea to fill that empty space with
> type signatures. The index would then have three columns: name, defining
> module, type. (For types/newtypes the actual definition could be filled
> in instead.) What do you think?
>
> Greetings,
> David/quchen

While I don't have anything against it, do you have a mockup of what
that would look like in the end? I imagine that something like lens[1]
would get quite congested, with its rather large types and multiple
listed modules. What about some huge types, such as those for records
(DynFlags comes to mind)?

It's probably also better to open a ticket (as Enhancement) and discuss
it there, much easier to track and definitely more searchable.

[1]:
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/lens/3.9.1/doc/html/doc-index-M.html

--
Mateusz K.