[Haddock] [haddock] #180: Should not “succeed” if all installed libraries’ interface files are of the wrong version

haddock haddock at projects.haskell.org
Tue Sep 20 08:51:43 BST 2011

#180: Should not “succeed” if all installed libraries’ interface files are of the
wrong version
------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
Reporter:  wjt          |       Owner:
    Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
 Version:  2.4.2        |    Keywords:
------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
 I find myself with two versions of Haddock installed: the Debian-supplied
 2.9.2 in /usr/bin, and a cabal-install-provided 2.4.2 in ~/.cabal/bin,
 which is first in my $PATH. (Presumably this was due to some package
 depending on a newer version of Haddock than Debian provided in the
 distant past.)

 As a result, when I install any package (with 'documentation: True' in my
 ~/.cabal/config), I receive warnings as follows:

 {{{
 Installing executable(s) in /tmp/hmph/bin
 Updating documentation index /tmp/hmph/share/doc/index.html
 Warning: Cannot read /usr/lib/ghc-
 doc/haddock/Cabal-1.10.2.0/Cabal.haddock:
    "Interface file is of wrong version: /usr/lib/ghc-
 doc/haddock/Cabal-1.10.2.0/Cabal.haddock"
 Skipping this interface.
 Warning: Cannot read /usr/lib/ghc-doc/haddock/hunit-1.2.2.3/HUnit.haddock:
    "Interface file is of wrong version: /usr/lib/ghc-
 doc/haddock/hunit-1.2.2.3/HUnit.haddock"
 Skipping this interface.
 ... and so on, for every installed library
 }}}

 Since all of my installed libraries' .haddock files are of the wrong
 version, it might be nice if haddock failed, rather than succeeding but
 writing an [http://willthompson.co.uk/misc/empty-docs/ empty documentation

Ticket URL: <http://trac.haskell.org/haddock/ticket/180>
haddock <http://www.haskell.org/haddock>
Haddock, The Haskell Documentation Tool