removing --html-help options

Mark Lentczner markl at glyphic.com
Sun Jul 18 12:27:57 EDT 2010

Haddock offers the option:

	--html-help=format     produce index and table of contents in
	                       mshelp, mshelp2 or devhelp format (with -h)

This causes the Html or XHtml backend to produce additional files for some HTML based help format. The formats supported, and the files used to generate the output are:

	devhelp - src/Haddock/Backends/DevHelp.hs
	mshelp  - src/Haddock/Backends/HH.hs
	mshelp2 - src/Haddock/Backends/HH2.hs

The later two files contain entirely commented out code, the externally callable functions are defined to be `error "not yet"` The code in all three is very old. It uses Test.PrettyPrint to generate XML or HTML.

Does anybody use this functionality? My concern is that it is woefully out of date with respect to either the current Html.hs backend, or the XHtml.hs backend I'm working on. It might work, but who knows?

I propose to pull out the HH and HH2 stuff, since while I'm refactoring code, I keep running into functions called by the commented out code in there. I don't like refactoring commented out code - you really have no idea if it is going to work someday!

If no one uses the devhelp, perhaps we should pull that out too.

Thoughts?

	- Mark