[Chart] Problem with upgrade to diagrams 1.0

Tim Docker tim at dockerz.net
Wed Feb 12 11:51:30 GMT 2014

On 11/02/14 02:37, Brent Yorgey wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 12:22:25AM +1100, Tim Docker wrote:
>> Hi Brent,
>>
>> The chart library seem to have a problem with filled arcs after the
>> upgrade of diagrams from 0.7 to 1.0:
>>
>> https://github.com/timbod7/haskell-chart/issues/19
>>
>> Before I dive in to investigate further, have you any pointers to
>> semantic changes in diagrams that might affect such output?
> Hi Tim,
>
> I don't know of any semantic changes along these lines (there were
> some related semantic changes going from 0.6 to 0.7, but
> Chart-diagrams worked with diagrams 0.7 from the outset).
>
> Instead, I suspect this may be related to
>
>    https://github.com/diagrams/diagrams-svg/issues/43
>
> Unfortunately it's a bit hard to confirm whether this is indeed the
> culprit.  It depends on the specific diagram tree constructed by
> Chart-diagrams---in particular whether a fill attribute is placed at
> the root of a subtree containing both the circles and some
> lines---perhaps the lines connecting the circles?  But even without
> absolutely verifying it, everything seems to fit.

I've confirmed that I only see the problem with the diagrams-svg
backend. If I use the diagrams-cairo backend the circles are correctly
filled. Hence It seems likely to me that the issue you reference above
may be the culprit.

I'm unsure whether I should restrict change the chart libraries cabal
constraints to force the use of 0.7, or simply list it as a known issue,
and pickup the fix whenever it occurs.

Thanks,

Tim