[Chart] Deploying with font SVGs

Bjorn Buckwalter bjorn at buckwalter.se
Tue Feb 4 09:48:11 GMT 2014

Hi,

I need to deploy applications in a Windows environment (Window XP to be
specific) where my deployment options are pretty much limited to copying a
.exe or possibly a folder structure. This seemed very hairy/impossible with
the old Cairo backend, but the new(ish) Diagrams backend seemed perfect for
this scenario.

However, I soon found out that an application built with the Diagrams
backend references data files (the font SVGs) with absolute paths, which in
this case are buried deep in a .cabal-sandbox directory on my development
computer. Needless to say this doesn't work too well when the executable is
copied to the production workstation.

Is there a pretty and non-fragile solution to this problem? (I think I
could hack it by move the repo to, e.g., C:\myrepo\ on my dev comp, build
it there, and then make sure to copy the relevent files into
C:\myrepo\.cabal-sandbox on the production workstation, but is that ever
ugly and fragile!)

Perhaps this is cabal question rather than a Chart question; I might try
posting in a cabal forum too.

Thanks,
Bjorn