[Chart] poll: migrate to github ?

Eugene Kirpichov ekirpichov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 18:27:45 BST 2012

I am one of the users and contributors who asked for github.

I think the following reasons are significant
 * Many people have git installed already and are capable of working
with it, so installing and learning darcs will not be a barrier for
them to contribute
 * Many people have a github account and it'll be very easy for them
to just "star" or fork the project and keep track of its development.
This will also help the project get visibility by appearing in these
people's github profiles, and their changes to Chart will appear in
their github followers' news feeds
 * More development software has git integration than darcs
integration, which makes life easier for developers. E.g. vim-fugitive
is beyond fantastic.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Ben Gamari <bgamari.foss at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim Docker <tim at dockerz.net> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Several users have suggested that they would like to see the chart
>> library code move to github. I've resisted this because I generally
>> prefer darcs over git for small projects. However, I can see that the
>> social aspects of github are potentially valuable, and git has more
>> mainstream acceptance.
>>
> I think that these reasons certainly do carry some weight. While I have
> personally grown fond of darcs as I've used it (originally coming from
> Git), it seems that the rest of the world has more or less settled on
> Git. Consequently, I think moving to Git could only help gain
> contributors to the project. That being said, this isn't a strong
> opinion.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Eugene Kirpichov