Accelerate

Ben Lever Ben.Lever at nicta.com.au
Tue Jul 27 21:24:38 EDT 2010

Hi Manuel,

(I've sent this email to the accelerate mailing list - is this a better destination for these discussions?)

To handle a 5-point stencil, the shape of the intermediate stencil array can be a one-dimensional array of 5 elements. The location of a, b, c, d and e in the stencil array is given by the ordering of the array as specified by the stencil function. For example:

stencilFn :: dimS -> dim' -> dim
stencilFn i (y, x) =
  case i of
    0 -> (y - 1,     x)  -- a
    1 -> (    y, x - 1)  -- b
    2 -> (    y,     x)  -- c
    3 -> (    y, x + 1)  -- d
    4 -> (y + 1,     x)  -- e

One piece of information we did leave out of our specification is that the stencil reduction operator can expect that the intermediate stencil array will be folded over, sequentially, in row-major order. These semantics allow the stencil reduction operator to treat stencil array elements uniquely if it is important to do so.

Your question, however, does highlight an interesting point, which is that the stencil array doesn't really need to be an array of any shape. Our semantics are that the stencil function simply gathers a bunch of elements in some defined order. Perhaps, the specification of the stencil array extent should be removed from the type signature and replaced with simply the number of elements to gather. For example:

stencil
    :: (Ix dim, Ix dim', Ix dimS, Elem a, Elem b)
    => Acc (Array dim a)                                        -- Source array
    -> (Exp dim  -> Exp dim')                                   -- Function specifying extent of the destination array
    -> Exp DIM1                                                 -- Number of elements gathered by stencil
    -> (Exp DIM1 -> Exp dim' -> Exp dim)                        -- Stencil specification function
    -> (Exp dim' -> Exp b -> Exp a -> Exp b)                    -- Stencil reduction operator
    -> Exp b                                                    -- Stencil reduction identity value
    -> Acc (Array dim' b)                                       -- Destination array

Do you think this is a good way to handle situations like a 5-point stencil?

To answer your other question about the stencil specification function (Exp dimS -> Exp dim' -> Exp dim) potentially being too general: we agree that it is general but we see stencil specifications being a regular pattern for gathering input array elements, even if they aren't neighbours. Whilst regularity can not be guaranteed statically, if the stencil pattern is regular, there are similar opportunities for locality-based optimisations.

Regards,
Ben.