Accelerate

Ben Lever Ben.Lever at nicta.com.au
Thu Aug 5 21:30:12 EDT 2010

Hi Manuel,

Trevor mentioned there were some problems with the trac server - that may explain why my previous response wasn't going through to the mailing list. Hopefully this one goes through :)

Rami and I have been talking with Trevor this morning and he's been filling us in on his discussion with you about the stencil proposals. I'll summarise below what we discussed and agreed on and hopefully that matches your expectations:

Here's our latest take on the function type:

stencil :: (Ix dim, Elem a, Elem b, StencilPattern dim a pat)
        => (pat -> Exp b)     -- ^Stencil function
        -> Acc (Array dim a)  -- ^Source array
        -> Acc (Array dim b)  -- ^Destination array

Comments:

 *   Output array extent is the same as input array. This means stencil behaves more like a map operation - here the mapping function instead takes a set of gathered values (as described by the stencil pattern). We realised that our thoughts of adding a backpermute-type argument to stencil were flawed as ti removed all the benefits of stencil knowing statically where to draw input values from for a given output value.
 *   Trevor clarified that the dim in StencilPattern simply means that the stencil pattern is of the same dimensionality of the input (and output) array(s), but obviously can be different extents. This is fine.
 *   The above type doesn't show support for boundary conditions. As mentioned below, we think that this should be part of specifying a "stencil" (as opposed to an argument of the stencil function) - i.e. it is specified along with the pattern, etc. After chatting with Trevor, we think it's reasonable that a boundary condition enumeration (e.g. clamp, mirror, constant, wrap) be independent of the coordinate being fetched.

For completeness, we can extended to multiple stencils like so:

stencil2 :: (Ix dim, Elem a, Elem b, Elem c, StencilPattern dim a pat, Stencil Pattern dim b pat')
         => (pat -> pat' -> Exp c)  -- ^Stencil function
         -> Acc (Array dim a)       -- ^First source array
         -> Acc (Array dim b)       -- ^Second source array
         -> Acc (Array dim c)       -- ^Destination array

stencil3 :: (Ix dim, Elem a, Elem b, Elem c, Elem d, StencilPattern dim a pat, Stencil Pattern dim b pat', StencilPattern dim c pat'')
         => (pat -> pat' -> pat'' -> Exp c)  -- ^Stencil function
         -> Acc (Array dim a)                -- ^First source array
         -> Acc (Array dim b)                -- ^Second source array
         -> Acc (Array dim c)                -- ^Third source array
         -> Acc (Array dim d)                -- ^Destination array

So, from our point of view, we're happy with the above. Let us know if you think there should be any further additions/removals.

Regards,
Ben.